Sunday, January 04, 2009

Nice Firefox extension -- flashblock

I browse itpub.net almost everyday. I like it , both forums and articles. Unfortunately , recently I notice my computer is very slow soon after I open few tabs from itpub.net 's first page. Checked that CPU utilization is high, regardless that my CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ processors .

Suspect there are too many flash-made advertisements there.

Luckily I find a mint Firefox extension -- flashblock, which by default doesn't load flash. After install it, I can open many tabs happily again.
The details description of Flashblock is excerpted below.

It also provides function for you to define allowed-sites to display Flash. However, I think, it is better to change the feature to the reversed way, i.e. allow all but no for exception sites. Reason being there are thousands web sites we visit, but we don't know the subsequent impact to us.

Think this is a fly in ointment.


"

Long Description

Flashblock is an extension for the Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape browsers that takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.

Flashblock currently blocks the following content types:
* Macromedia Flash
* Macromedia Shockwave
* Macromedia Authorware"