Friday, November 27, 2015

Tips for TortoiseSVN

Many discussion on internet, think it is a SVN client. In fact, it is also a SVN server.

As I practice, I found SNV over WebDV has view only capability, even I tried websvn which can't help on check-in and check-out. I decided to use SVN protocol only, i.e. use TortoiseSVN serves as both server (deploy it on server) and client GUI (install it too in various PCs).

To clear authentication info, go to settings/saved data/clear authentication data, as shown below.



The key config files of SVN server are under the repository directory by default.e.g.

authorization file:  authz
password file: passwd
main config file:  svnserve.conf


First funny problem is when I enable the password file and hit authentication failed.

This is due to a space before the userid.   Remove it, do so for all other type of configuration just in case.

The 2nd Funny problem with authorization failed, whenever I enable authz-db in the server config file, I even can't read the repository , which was functioning.Finally I got the solution from someone else on the web.

I use the "/" for repository instead of particular repository name. e.g. change it from "/dbasvn" to "/" in authz-db file. e.g.

Changed it from 
[/dbasvn]
liqy = rw
* = r

TO

[/]
liqy = rw
* = r

Now , everything works perfectly.


Run svnserve as a Microsoft Windows service, so that we can use SVN protocol.  below is my sample command.

sc create svnserver binpath= "\"C:\Program Files\Subversion\bin\svnserve.exe\" --service -r D:\svnrepos" displayname= "Subversion" depend= Tcpip start= auto

Note if we want to delete a window service, can use "sc delete " , followed by reboot

Above is based TortoiseSVN v1.9.2