Monday, April 25, 2016

Ubuntu login loop

Upgraded to Ubuntu 15.10 from 15.10, resolved blank screen by playing with gdm/lightdm. Finally lightdm is my choice, which works with the video driver xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

Then I am facing loop login, read very thoroughly on below two articles.


http://askubuntu.com/questions/223501/ubuntu-gets-stuck-in-a-login-loop

http://askubuntu.com/questions/590561/ubuntu-14-04-login-loop-problem


End up , found the .Xauthority is owned by root, however even I changed its ownership/renamed it , didn't solove my problem.

The hint .xsession_errors saved me, the message is :
line 31  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20desktop-profiles_activateDesktopProfiles ambiguous redirect.

Searched the ERRFILE in the file, seems it is not defined.

Comment out the line, and I made it !

however, it is better to set ERRFILE=~/.xsession_errors   

before line


  echo "Shell library $LIB is missing -> assuming desktop-profiles is removed (but not purged)" >> $ERRFILE;




Now I see below message, seems no much indexed in google. anyway it is affecting my login.

 hmc@hmc-P55A-UD3:/mnt/localubt/hmc$ cat .xsession_errors
Shell library /usr/share/desktop-profiles/listingmodule is missing -> assuming desktop-profiles is removed (but not purged)